About 2000 years ago, Iron Age Britons farmed the land where old Hayes is now. Then the Romans came, probably about AD50 – and went home again in AD410. Then the Saxons arrived, probably about 40 years later; they found the abandoned farmland, which by then was overgrown with weeds, brushwood and wild shrubs and was very damp from the springs of water in the fields (which are still there); they called the place “Hese”, which means “place of brushwood and damp undergrowth”.
Another 700 years on and about 1177 the Saxon-cum-Norman hamlet was given a church: St Mary the Virgin. Hayes village grew up along a track which became Hayes Street. Over the centuries a scattering of hovels, cottages and big houses were built, nearby and up to half a mile distant, mostly on the higher ground.
750 years passed and, in 1927, Hayes Village Hall was built next to the church.
The Hayes Village Hall Trust was set up in 1928 to look after the Hall for the people of Hayes.
In 1882 the railway had come, with its station at the foot of the hill in the valley of the Bourne stream. “New” Hayes, mostly built in the 1930s, was built around the old village and the station.
In 1936, a smaller room was built next to the Hall; we know it now as the Annexe. In 1960 the original hall was enlarged and added to, the extension being dedicated as a 1939-45 war memorial.
The Hayes Village Hall Trust, which was set up by local groups acting together as Hayes Community Council, is an independent Charity, reporting to the Charity Commission.
Day-to-day running of the Hall is in the hands of a Management Committee, appointed at an annual meeting of Hayes Community Council.